In the wake of the October 1, 2017, shooting that left 58 people dead and 546 injured, security policies are being reevaluated at some Las Vegas casinos that they may keep guests safe and prevent tragedies like the one that occurred at the Route 91 Harvest music festival on the Las Vegas Strip in Nevada.
Boyd Gaming, parent company of The Orleans Casino, has reportedly adjusted its “do not disturb” policy, according to a report from Las Vegas news station Fox 5 KVVU-TV.
Fox 5 reports that the vice president of corporate communications for the Paradise-based Boyd Gaming, David Strow, confirmed that safety and welfare checks will now be conducted by staff on any room in the hotel that has a “do not disturb” placard on the door past two consecutive days.
In an email to the news agency, Strow reportedly wrote that “All guests are advised of this policy upon check-in.” He went on to say that the new policy applies to all of the company’s properties nationwide, including their 10 hotels located in the Las Vegas Valley.
Strow said that after the shooting on October 1st, the company’s policy changed from three days to two, according to the news agency.
Fox 5 KVVU-TV reports that while Wynn stays transparent regarding its policies, Caesars and MGM keep theirs shrouded. The news agency stated that MGM Resorts declined to make a statement regarding its practices.
The Mandalay Bay is owned and operated by MGM Resorts. It is where on the night of October 1st, from his suite on the 32nd floor of the hotel, 64-year-old Stephen Paddock of Mesquite opened fire on a crowd of thousands of people attending the Route 91 Harvest music festival on the Las Vegas Strip in Nevada.
Last month, Steve Wynn, CEO of Wynn Resorts reportedly told Fox News that looking back on the circumstances of the October 1st shooting, one of the issues he was most concerned with was the handling of the “do not disturb” placards.
Wynn reportedly told Fox news, “Being in a room for three days in a ‘do not disturb’ situation? That would’ve triggered an alarm here.” He further stated,”We’d go into the room. We’d want to know more about anybody who was sequestered in a room for more than 12 hours.”
Caesars Entertainment spokesperson, Erica Johnson-McElroy, reportedly did not give specifics on how the mass shooting last month has altered the way in which staff handles security.
In an email she wrote that while they don’t comment publicly on their security-related procedures and policies, as a result of the October 1st shooting, they are evaluating security measures, according to Fox 5.